Copyright © Hello from Davao.
Design by Dzignine
Welcome and HELLO FROM DAVAO - a lifestyle blog about my life and travels in and around Davao and Mindanao. I love sharing my own inside tips and must-see things for the small pocket money. Enjoy the the warm breeze from the south.

2. How to learn Bisaya

At a certain point in time, I had to make myself a list on what I need to look into before getting (more) confused about Bisaya. As a foreigner to this country that time, I did that by knowing that the Bisaya spoken in Davao is different from the clean, spoken one like in Cebu. So, I did not want to clutter my brain with Tagalog or the true Visayan, but just to be focused on the Davao style of speaking.

A sales vendor with Jackfruit at Bankerohan

There is much achieved in putting effort and time into it. Here are my eight pillars of reminders from me to you.

1. Have a notebook and pencil in your pocket. You cannot imagine how helpful it was and is until now to me. I have a ready notebook to scribble down words or phrases I heard. My brain is like a water drenched sponge which cannot retain information that well, so I forced myself to write it down as fast as I can. It is a bit like school. Oh, you may also use your phone.

2. Study the pronunciation of the language first. Practice the most difficult sounds with repetitive drills, common words and short phrases daily until you feel somehow ok about them. Do not feel embarrassed, ask a friend to check on your pronunciation. I swear, bring down your pride and ask like a child, Filipinos here are most welcome to help you! (I made some exercises for you.)

3. Practice the Bisaya intonation, stress, and rhythm of common, short social sentences and social questions, (see, exercise) Do your best to imitate the Bisayan speakers, and then repeat it as much as you can.

4. Go to Youtube and watch clips on Bisaya. (go here)

5. Study the grammar. Oh boy, yes, that has been the hardest part to me. Since this Davao-Bisaya cannot be found in books, we have very much to refer to the clean Visaya.

6. Study some good idioms, proverbs, and expressions to make conversation at the beginning easy. (like, basic greetings, small talk you can do as foreigner,)

7. Be open-minded. Educate yourself in the cultural aspect of the language. This is very important if you do not want to come across as rude to the folks in Davao or Filipinos in general. (learn Etiquette)

8. Again, force yourself to speak in Bisaya. Practice!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.