Copyright © Hello from Davao.
Design by Dzignine
Welcome and HELLO FROM DAVAO - a lifestyle blog about my life and travels in and around Davao and Mindanao. I love sharing my own inside tips and must-see things for the small pocket money. Enjoy the the warm breeze from the south.

1. A hodgepodge of languages: Visaya vs. Bisaya

1. A hodgepodge of languages: Visaya vs. Bisaya


A woman selling mussles at the
Bankerohan market.

Visaya is synonymous with the Cebuano dialect, but can be referred to as Bisaya. Visaya is spoken in Cebu and Mindanao - but differ any many ways, like vocabulary, terms for everyday usage, contraction of different words and having a heavily accented language (usually the ending vowels are pronounced heavily).

In fact, real Visayans might find it weird if they come here and hear the Davao version.

In Mindanao, other dialects like Tagalog, Cagayanon, Chavacano, Dabawenyo, Spanish, Bicolanao, Muslim, and other tribes like the Ilonggo who have settled down in the mountains, coined the way Bisaya is spoken in the south of the Philippines. We can proudly say that the Dabawenyos have one of the most unique language in the world.




At the Bankerohan market, Fr. Selga street
Since I have been living here in Davao, I have been confronted with 'this unique' dialect that cannot be found in a dictionary. Up to this very day, the language remains complex to me, and the only way I was able to adapt to the folks here is to listen and talk myself (read also How to learn Bisaya). Despite my foreign accent, I have been able to communicate in simple ways and thus, I have emerged more and better into the vibrating culture of Davao.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.