Copyright © Hello from Davao.
Design by Dzignine
Welcome and HELLO FROM DAVAO - a lifestyle blog about my life and travels in and around Davao and Mindanao. I love sharing my own inside tips and must-see things for the small pocket money. Enjoy the the warm breeze from the south.

Wondering about Mangosteen



I used to stay near the Bankerohan market, the biggest market place in Davao. On one day, being dismissed by class earlier, I went around the place looking for some bread. My attention was caught by two stands offering "round shiny kamote" (kamote, is some a purple sweet potatoe), I thought. 

To my amazement, when the vendor offered me one to taste, I didnt know if I am supposed to bite into it right away of peel it like an orange.

The opening of this fruit was quite a stunning presentation! The vendor squeezed firmly from both sides the fruit and opening it, in it where little white pulps!

The taste was a cross between a mandarin and a peach, a bit sour yet sweet - weird, but still impressive to me as a European.

The fruit I am referring to is named Mangosteen. Mangosteen is a tree fruit mostly found in the Pacific islands, Asia and Africa.

Mangosteen is said to have a couple of good health benefit. Many folks use this little fruit as a home remedy. 

I made some research and summarized the benefits:

Pain reliever. It has an anti-inflammatory effect which assist in reducing the inflammation, pain and joint damage (arthritis) or any other pain caused by sport and minor injuries.

Keeping blood vessels clean through decreasing free radical damage and inflammatory build up.

Maintains cholesterol level, protect heart muscle, lower high blood pressure.

Boost energy. The fruit cotains vitamin C, fiber, potassium and even some biologically active compounds like Catechins and Proanthocyanidins.

Anti-oxidant. Mangosteen has an antioxidant content mostly found in the rind. This unique antioxidant content is called Xanthones. In laboratory vitro study (test tube), mangosteen xanthones possess anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and antioxidant properties. However, there is no proof that these xanthones have the same effect when taken orally as when tested in a laboratory setting so far.

Maintain intestinal health, which is needed to relieve diarrhea, constipation and helps to get a normal bowel health

For the beauty. What I have been trying to work on was my skin problems. It is said to fight against bacteria which causes some acne. And was positive about the result.

It is said to decrease blood sugar Type II diabetes by making insulin more effective.

It may help to manage weight and even to reduce body fat


Yet, Mangosteen is also controversial in its health benefit, labeled as "a fruit too good to be true" and and "not enough scientific proof". Despite the mangosteen controversy, you can decide for yourself what is in your best interests. At the end, it is a fruit and healthy to an extend, but maybe not the miraculous answer to healing sicknesses.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.

Hello from Davao.